We had a ROUGH week this past week. I won’t bore you with all the details, but we were all sick, and none of us got very much sleep. I skipped posting a recipe last week, because honestly Who KNOWS what kind of recipe I would be writing- I might’ve told you to pour coffee in soup, and blend it with ice!
I also pretty much took the week off from the kitchen, because my energy was sapped, so it was a week of quick meals, most of which came out of the freezer. But on Saturday, I got right back in there!! *Happy Dance* Since I hadn’t really gone grocery shopping, there wasn’t much to chose from. I had shredded chicken that needed to be used up, so all i really knew was that chicken would be the basis of the meal. I asked Eric what he would like, and he basically said “Whatever you make will be good.” Thanks for the help, babe.
I decided comfort food was in order after the week we had… Chicken Pot Pie needed to be made!
This came together from a memory I had of how my aunt used to make her Chicken Pot Pie for family gatherings. I lightened it up quite a bit, and of course, I added cheese. You don’t have to add the cheese, because that would lighten it up even more and make it more traditional. But I would. I’m sure she also made a delicious homemade gravy. I thought about making up a homemade gravy, and perhaps I still will and add it in the future, but I wanted to make this quick and easy enough for a weeknight dinner.
I hope you all enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie Bake
- 4 cups chicken breast cooked and shredded/diced
- 2-12 oz jars Heinz Classic Chicken Gravy
- 2 cups frozen mixed vegetable (peas, corn, green beans, carrots)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Bisquick Heart Smart Baking Mix
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degress. Lightly spray 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, lightly spray with cooking spray and saute' onion until soft.
- Add frozen veggies and cook for a few minutes. Add chicken, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for another couple of minutes just enough to heat it up.
- Add the chicken and vegetable mixture to the 9x13 dish, pour chicken gravy into the dish and mix thoroughly. Evenly sprinkle with the shredded cheddar on top.
In medium bowl add Bisquick mix and garlic salt. Stir and then add the milk. Mix until a soft dough forms. (If mixture does not seem moist enough add a one or two tablespoons of water)
- With a metal spoon drop biscuit dough on top of the cheddar. You will have enough to make three across and 4 down. (12)
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown on top. Enjoy!
Serving size: 1/6 of casserole dish
7 Freestyle Smart Points (calculated with Weight Watchers Recipe Builder)
10 Smart Points (Calculated with Weight Watchers Recipe Builder)
350 calories 7g fat, 35g carbohydrates, 5g sugar, 2g fiber, 32g protein (Calculated with My Fitness Pal)