This post may contain affiliate links (meaning I earn a small comission if you purchase an item through a link I provide) I only provide shoppable links to items I love and are helpful. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Friends! Let’s get down to business, okay? Cheesy Sausage Hash Brown Casserole. Who doesn’t love a good breakfast casserole?? There’s sausage, eggs, cheese, hash browns, a little spinach that you won’t even know is there, and more cheese. Can I get an amen?!
I had high hopes while throwing this recipe together a couple of weeks ago.
I am not big on vegetables alone.
I pretty much only eat lettuce, carrots, and celery raw. But, I love a good challenge!
and I love tricking myself into eating vegetables that are good for me.
It’s becoming a hobby. (Don’t judge my lack of interesting hobbies, please)
It literally turned into something magical while cooking in the oven. It is one of my new favorites to have prepared for the week. It’s family approved and oh so yummy!
Just look at that slice of cheesy heaven!
If you read through the recipe and scrunch your nose up at the cup of cottage cheese. Please trust me, I am not a cottage cheese person and this is pretty much perfection. It adds a bit of extra creaminess to the bake that we all want, without a load of calories that we don’t need.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
With love from my kitchen to yours,
Cheesy Sausage Hash Brown Casserole
- 8 oz lean turkey breakfast sausage, raw I use the 'Jennie O' brand
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 6 cups fresh spinach torn into small pieces (i prefer the stems removed because i don't like to chew them, but it's up to you)
- 5 cups refrigerated shredded hash browns I use the 'Simply Potatoes' brand
- ¾ cup low fat cottage cheese
- ½ cup Reduced fat shredded Cheddar
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese grated
- 2- ½ cups liquid Egg Whites (or you can use 12 whole eggs or half egg whites and half whites)
- 1-2 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt to tast
- ¼ tsp pepper or to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×13 casserole dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet break up turkey sausage and add diced onions. Continue to cook until meat is browned and onions are softened. Add the spinach and cook just until slightly wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Spray the same pan with cooking spray and add the hash browns to skillet and cook for a few minutes. Season with seasoned salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl add in sausage, spinach, cottage cheese, parmesan cheese, and hash browns. Stir well until combined.
- In the casserole dish add the hash brown and sausage mix. Pour egg whites on top evenly. Top it off with the shredded mozzarella and sharp cheddar. **If using whole eggs make sure to whisk well before adding the casserole dish.
- Cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes and then remove the foil and bake uncovered for about 25 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes and then cut into six servings. Serve hot and enjoy!