Open Faced Turkey and Gravy Sandwiches
Toasty slices of bread topped with turkey and a homemade skillet gravy
- 16 ounces French or Italian loaf of bread (easily found in the bakery section of the grocery store/make sure it is SOFT and not a "crusty" loaf. That's delicious for soup, but we want a soft bread here)
- 1 lb good quality deli turkey breast or leftover turkey breast (my go to is boars head pit craft smoked turkey breast or the oven gold roasted turkey breast if getting sliced from the deli counter)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking spray I prefer to use avocado oil cooking spray
- 1/2 diced yellow onion
- 3 tbsp light butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2½ cups water
- 2 tsp chicken or vegetable stock concentrate such as better than bouillon *see notes
Open Faced Turkey Sandwiches
Serves 6. nutritional information and points are figured for 1 open faced sandwich.
287 Calories, 6g fat, 1g saturated fat, 780g sodium, 35g carbohydrates (33g net carbs), 2g dietary fiber, 4g sugar (0g added sugar, 0g sugar alcohol), 26g protein
**nutritional information figured out using boars head oven gold roasted turkey breast
**Chicken or vegetable stock concentrate- I always have better than bouillon on hand. You can find this in the grocery store near the cans/cartons of chicken broth and stock or you can order it online. I prefer to use this, but you can definitely use already made chicken stock just use it in place of the water & concentrate. I would season it a little extra with some salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, crushed sage, and/or poultry seasoning for more flavor.
**Bread- if you can't find a big loaf of bread you can use sliced sandwich bread too and follow instructions the same.
**Note on sodium- deli turkey tends to have a lot of extra sodium unless you're purchasing "no salt added/low sodium". If you need to watch your sodium intake you may want to take a look at deli turkey that has no sodium/less sodium. The sodium will levels will wildly vary on different meats or leftover turkey. I personally just even it out with extra water intake after I eat deli sandwich meat.