This post may contain affiliate links (meaning I earn a small comission if you purchase an item through a link I provide) I only provide shoppable links to items I love and are helpful. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hey Folks! I’m going to start somethin’ new around here – it’s just gonna be a collection of thoughts on Thursdays. I don’t know if it will be weekly… because ya know, life happens. But in an effort to show you a lil more of my life, my loves, my likes, etc on here (rather than only on the social media networks), this is the solution that I’ve come up with. I promise you’ll still find me on Instagram, but with their crazy algorithms changing by the hour, it’s frustrating… I’m constantly getting emails that people rarely see my updates! But guess what? Here there is no algorithm, and I’m in charge of it all. You can see what you want, when you want. So I hope you check back on Thursdays for some random thoughts and musings, and probably some photos too!
1. Here’s an exciting update – We’re happy to finally announce that The Skinnyish Dish is officially a family affair! Eric has quit his job and hopped on board full-time to help me run things. And truthfully, as this amazing thing has grown, it’s become too much for me to handle all by myself. Don’t misunderstand, I’m so very grateful for the way this all has taken off! But honestly, friends, I just couldn’t keep up. This is a big leap of faith for us. Eric is kinda like the Yin to my Yang, except we’re both pretty unorganized… so in that way, we’re the Yang to each other’s Yang… or something like that? I’ll admit I am a little nervous about us being around each other all the time. We get along great, and I never want that to change. But we’ve discussed this possibility for a few years, and we know that now is the time– this is the best move for our family, and for the future of The Skinnyish Dish.
So what does this really mean, and why am I announcing it?
It means more ideas, more recipes, more often, and more delicious! Eric has been my number one taste-tester since day one, and he’s always kept me grounded. He won’t be doing any of the cooking, but he’s great at helping me brainstorm new recipes! It also means I’ll have more time to recipe test and photograph, and all that stuff. I’ll have help with daily tasks, and all of the behind-the-scenes stuff (like emailing with companies, editing, and dealing with the tech side of things), because that’s never been my forte. It definitely means there will be less spelling and grammatical errors in my posts, because he’s a grammar butt.. I mean, a grammar NUT! Eric has always been really good with language and writing, and he never misspells a word (and he sometimes reminds people of this (-: ). He has edited a lot of my posts, but now it’ll be part of his full-time duties, and I can’t think of anyone better for the job!
To get right down to it, I’m super excited that we’re able to do this. Now there’s more time to do what I love- creating and perfecting new recipes, and sharing them with all of you more often than ever before. So give ’em a warm welcome y’all, because he’s the number one reason I started this site and continued on with it. Without him, I might never have done this!
* It also may mean we’ll give this cookbook-writing thing a go much sooner than later!!
2. I got an Instant Pot! The kind folks over at Instant Pot sent me one a couple weeks ago, and I’m still a little afraid of it. But my goal in 2019 is to bring you a bunch’a Instant Pot-friendly recipes! Just give me a lil time to get the hang of it and perfect the process, OK? Or I suppose you could pick one up from Amazon, and we can learn all about it together!
*Psst.. If you have some recipe requests, please comment and let your girl know!
3. My Go-To Coffee Order: This is pretty random, but I am always asked what I order when I grab a coffee. It’s simple and it’s delicious. I order a cold brew (always), and get Stevia/Truvia (whatever they have), sugar-free vanilla and sugar-free caramel syrups, and a splash of skim milk. If I happen to be near a Starbucks, I always do sugar-free cinnamon dolce and sugar-free vanilla with Stevia and a splash of skim milk. (Eric, if you happen to read this, please screenshot and save… ha!)
4. The Elf has landed! We weren’t sure if we would start this tradition just yet, but hey, why not? Pepper is only going to be little for so long. And if we have to set an alarm to remember to move the Elf every night, or do a cutesy lil scene a few times, we can do that for the little girl who has our hearts. because Christmastime is so special, and we only get one a year… that’s just a handful of Christmases for her before the magic starts to fade! I’ll share some of our fun with “Jingles” The Elf here in “Thursday Thoughts” throughout the rest of the month. I don’t think Pepper completely understands the concept, but she’s suuuper pumped when the dang elf brings candy for breakfast. :-0
5. Proud mama moment: Pepper made us dinner! I’ve been working a ton lately. As many of you know, the Holiday season is crazy busy for every family. But it’s also the absolute busiest and craziest time of the year for a food blogger! Put those two things together, then bring to a boil and stir constantly, and it can get pretty overwhelming. Even though I work at home, I sometimes feel like it’s almost worse than being away… because I’m right there, and I know Pep doesn’t always understand. I’ve been thinking up ways for us to spend more quality time together in the evenings, because quality over quantity, forever. So when we ran to the grocery store for some last minute ingredients, I grabbed this cute little pizza kit, and we made these three personal pan pizzas together! Then we all sat down as a family and ate. Pepper insisted on High-Fives all around! All I did was supervise and take photos, she did it all. I love spending time with her in the kitchen, and I can’t wait until she can do more in there with me!
Just look how proud! Oh my heart! And please don’t judge us for our random, haphazard tinsel garland hangin’… That was all Jingles The Elf.
6. Got myself a new ‘do! I’ve tried to have long hair for the past 3.5 years… I blame motherhood hormones. I have very thick and wavy hair, and it’s completely unmanageable for someone who doesn’t actually like to spend time doing their hair (me). For three and a half dang years I’ve told myself “I want long hair, and I’m gonna do it!” And for three and a half years, it’s felt like a mop on top of my head… with the exception of a few date nights and holidays. I finally went in, saw my girl, and had her chop over 5 inches off!, so it’s back to a “lob bob thingy,” and it’s been amazing! …Not to mention I’m no longer using half a bottle of conditioner every dang time I wash it. I just feel more like myself. Maybe I’ll blame social media for making me want those long locks… Ha!
Side view completely with a beautiful copper Bayalage for the color.
7. I’m really trying to get back into reading more. A few years back, I would read about a book per week. But in the past year, I’ve barely finished 5 books total. I’m also having trouble simply deciding what to read, because I want to make it worth my time! Comment below and tell me what books you’re loving? Please?!
8. I’m about to dive into cookie baking season. I usually make a few recipes from my mom’s stash, and then try out a few new ones as well. This year I have my eyes on Grandma Lucy’s Sugar Cookies and Christmas Magic Cookie Bars ! I’ll let ya know what we make.
9. One more thing: If you haven’t had a chance yet, check out my Christmas Gift Guide! Click on over and enter to win a great prize + get a few perfect and practical gift ideas for that favorite cook in your life!
You are my favorite blog for recipes. Love them all!!! Reading is my pass time. My favorite authors right now are Carolyn Brown and Inglath Cooper. Love everything I have read by them!
Excited to see more recipes soon. And now that you have an instant pot I would love to see how to turn slow cooker recipes into pressure cooker recipes. I know some things need to cook slow, but it would be good to have a conversion for some.
How exciting for you and your precious family! I bought an IP a few months back and have to say, I’ve used it few times for actual meals. I love making eggs and apple butter in mine though. I can’t wait to see what you’ve come up with. A book I just finished reading is “Into the Water” by Paula Hawkins. Love her books!
I’ve been a fan of yours for a while. I love the recipes you share. Exciting that your husband has join you in this journey. I am a new owner of an Air fryer so if you have any recipes to share, it would be awesome. I recently read Girl Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis. I wish all the best and great success in this new chapter.
I loved The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Reid Jenkins. Her other books are good too. I think they would be a good re-intro to pleasure reading because they are good stories but still a pretty easy read.
Happy for you when reading all the exciting updates! Your hair is great!
I am giving my Daughter in law an insta pot for Christmas and will be sure to give her your Facebook and Email so she can enjoy your recipes along with me. Congratulation on your new endeavors.
Thank you so much, Thelma! I hope your daughter enjoys the gift and recipes!
I am just starting to follow you! I am
In a WW rut so thanks for some great recipes! I love the book “The Kitchen House” and it’s sequel “Glory Over Everything”
Thanks for the recommendations, I’ll definitely check those two out! And Glad to have ya around here, I hope you find and love some recipes! Let me know how it goes!
I will be looking forward to Thursdays. I just finished reading The stolen Marriage It was really good.
This post is SO wonderful!! All the joy and beauty of a wonderful family ❤
Congratulations on the expansion of The Skinnyish Dish!!!
I highly recommend the book: An Uncomplicated Life by Paul Daugherty. So good!!
PS: i love, love, love the family photo in the car!
Haha! I feel like my favorite photos are of us in the car. It’s the only time Eric and I think to snap a photo of us. Thank you so much!
Your recipes are my favorite! I will pre order the cookbook!!! My favorite author is Colleen Hoover. Start with the book—It Ends with Us. You will
not regret it!!!!
I’ve heard of this author so often. I need to order a book from her! I feel like a friend of mine edits or used to edit her books because it just rings a bell, but at the same time, I could be 100% wrong. haha
I’m so happy you have an Instant Pot! I’m more than a little obsessed with mine, so I’ve converted some of your recipes for it, including your amazing white chicken chili. Can’t wait to see what kind of magic you create!
Just ♥️ It all for you…you inspire daily!
Love your hair ! Excited about the instant pot recipes to come. I have one and I’ve used it twice it is so intimidating to me !
Thank you so much! I am sooooo intimidated too, but I know once I get into a groove with it I’ll feel better haha!
If you have a favorite, I would love for you to share a sugar cookie frosting recipe that gets solid so they are stackable. It doesn’t need to be skinnyish… We only get Christmas cookies once a year, so why not go for the good stuff
I couldn’t agree more! I never skimp on cookies, but try to just have a couple here and there. I’m actually going to try out a royal frosting recipe and i’ll see how it turns out! It’s an old recipe so I’m not sure how it is. We haven’t used it in so many years.
Ahhh loved reading this! Excited for Eric and what’s next for my favorite family!!! ❤️❤️❤️ Can’t wait to see y’all and finally celebrate birthdays and Christmas. Haha love ya. Proud of ya.
Love you Megs!! (See the comment is here. Haha!) Cannot wait to see you soon!
I love mystery books. I read The Couple Next Door in less than 24 hours. As a full-time teacher and mom of 2, that should tell you how good the book was. Somehow I snuck away and found time to fly through this good book!!
Also, I’m excited to see Instant Pot recipes coming!!
OOO! I’m gonna add that to my list because I don’t know how you found the time, but i do know there’s always time to find when a book is REAL good!
Thank you for sharing your home, family (Pepper is so darn cute ❤️) and most of all your amazing recipes. You are an inspiration! Look forward to reading your “Thursday Thoughts “.
Your hair looks AMAZING!!! Now you can start your exciting new venture looking FABULOUS!
thanks sooooo much!! I’m lovin it!
Congratulations to you and your family. I can’t wait to buy your first cookbook!
I love to read and for years told myself I was too busy for novels so magazines were my go to; articles much quicker reading. Then a family book club was formed…4 sisters, a cousin & an aunt. The six of us meet every other month taking turns hosting lunch and selecting the book. I enjoy cooking and trying new recipes on the ladies (your site helps!). Actually reading the book is always optional because yes life happens and we advocate no pressure; the important thing is us getting together.
I’ve gone from no time to read to reading nearly every night; even if it’s just one or two chapters. It’s become such a relaxing ritual; I’m reading several books every month.
Here’s a couple of suggestions for you – enjoy – do it – you’ll thank yourself!
“Woman in Red” by Eileen Goudge: This is just a really good story.
“My Sister’s Keeper” Jodi Picoult: Will pull at the heart; relatable from both a parent and sibling’s perspective.
“Woman of God” James Patterson. Story is about a female doctor with faith.
Both Picoult and Patterson are author’s whose books I now seek out because I enjoyed introduction to them through these first 2 novels.
“You Before Me” Jojo Moyes – another really good story of young quirky caregiver to a quadriplegic. Recent movie but read the book!
And one more
“The Coincidence of Coconut Cake” By Amy E. Reichert. The story is about a female chef and a food critic; it takes place in my WI hometown. Light & fun read. It includes the recipe for the cake!
Sorry for the long post..I got carried away.
love this! Thank you so much for the recommendations. I definitely can’t wait until i get into a reading routine again!
Very exciting news! Cant wait for all the new recipes. I love reading your posts and blogs ❤
Congrats on making it a family affair! So exciting! Your hair looks gorgeous! If you are into mysteries, I would suggest ANYTHING by James Patterson, especially the Women’s Murder Club series. Looking forward to many more great recipes and some new ones for my Insta Pot (I am unsure of it as well, so I just use it as a slow cooker ♀️)
It is a true family affair! Congratulations!
If you only make it through two books this year, I promise these are the best of the best!
A Gentleman In Moscow – takes place right after the Russian Revolution and is about a Count on lifetime house arrest and how he makes this amazing life for himself.
The Last Bus To Wisdom – about a little boy taking a cross country trip on the ‘dog bus’ and who he meets and the interesting situations he gets into.
Both really redefine family.
Welcome Eric. So glad for both of you that this has turned into a family affair. I love your recipes (that lasagna is to die for) and am excited that you will be able to roll them out more often. Peppa’s pizzas look good, too. If your looking for a book that will warm your heart, I recommend “ The Waiting: The True Story of a Lost Child, a Lifetime of Longing and a Miracle for a Mother Who Never Gave Up”. It’s a true story by Cathy LaGrow.
Congratulations on your new adventure! I hope these are fun and exciting times for your family. I love reading your blog and posts and my whole family enjoys trying out your recipes.
I am an avid reader and could give you some suggestions but first I need to know your favorite genre.
Love love love your recipes.
I really love cheesy feel good kinda stuff, but I also love mysteries! And of course, cookbooks!
Yay on the Instant Pot! I’ve had mind a couple of years, and still only use it for basic functions. I just used the soup function for the first time yesterday – AH-MAZING!!!!
Such a wonderful update on things. Congratulations
Congrats on the move for your family, how great! We love your recipes and if this means even more, great!
Congrats on the move for your family, how great! We love your recipes and if this means even more, great!
Congratulations! All is very exciting! I know this will be great for you and yours! I’m one of your biggest fans. I have your bufallo chicken and rice in the oven as I message you. Good luck and just for the record I believe none of us are totally organized. Relax and enjoy you’re doing a great job
I haven’t read much this year either but I have many to share! Anything by Penny Reid and Mariana Zapata! If you want less romance, more serious stuff, I can suggest book club reads too! 🙂
How exciting!!! I love your recipes ❤️ I enjoy reading all your posts too. Good luck with it all. And by the way I think your AMAZING!
I’ve been reading my way through Reese Witherspoon’s book club and I’ve loved them all so far! I too had taken a break from reading for pleasure and didn’t know where to start, so I put my faith in Reese haha. And I’m so glad I did!
I’ll have to check that out! I didn’t know she had a book club, but I adore her!
For sure check out the book club! I’ve really enjoyed what I’ve read so far!
Excited for you and your family and love your new do! My family and I love your recipes!
Thank you so much!