About once a week I put my foot down and I tell Eric, “YOU ARE TAKING CARE OF MISS PEPPER! I AM LIVING IN THE KITCHEN TODAY.” Normally, he argues with me a little because well, he’s a man. (Sorry, Babe. I know you’ll be reading this probably later tonight!)
I’m pretty sure he will forget that I called him out after I make something else to eat, so oh well.
Anyway- like I was saying, about once a week I dedicate a good portion of my day to the kitchen. I test out new recipes, I tweak old ones, I sing along to some Miranda. It’s really a perfect day.
Every hour or so food magically appears on the dining room table and Eric walks in like, “whoa, when can I eat this?” and I normally make him wait until it is cold and after I take some photos. I’m the worst!
But, he is the most honest with me when it comes to my recipes. Sometimes a little too honest. He’s quite the food critic these days. (hahaha!) Before I actually post a recipe It normally goes through a chain of people. Myself, Eric, and My mom. If we all agree that it is fabulous, then I tell you all that it is fabulous. We build a lovely relationship of trust, and you continue making my recipes, and my heart is happy!
It’s really a wonderful thing!
Okay, now that you know all of that. I will introduce you to one of my latest kitchen creations. Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti. I love me some Tex Mex! I normally don’t make it because it’s something I tend to get when we go out for dinner, but doing this blog now is helping me break out of my little cooking shell.
I still won’t put mushrooms in anything, don’t ask.
I hope you all enjoy!
(Eric is my fork holding model in this picture. I still didn’t let him take a bite.)
Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken Spaghetti
- 3 -5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium red or green pepper diced
- 8 ounces spaghetti noodles, dry broken into pieces
- 2 cups chicken breast (cooked and diced/shredded)
- 1 cup nonfat cottage cheese
- 1 1/4 cup reduced fat mild or sharp cheddar mexican blend works well too!
- 10 ounce can 98% Fat Free Cream of Chicken or Celery Soup
- 1 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4-1/8 tsp cayenne pepper more or less depending on the level of spice you want
- cooking spray
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly spray a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Put a large pot of salted water on, and boil the spaghetti noodles according to package instructions. Drain noodles.
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and cook onions, garlic, and green pepper until soft.In a large bowl add cottage cheese, ½ cup of the shredded cheese, cream of chicken/celery soup, cumin, cayenne pepper, seasoned salt, sautéed veggies, and chicken. Mix together well.
- In the casserole dish add the noodles and chicken mixture. Stir until all mixed together and spread evenly into the casserole dish.
- Top with the remaining cheese, cover with tin foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Cut into six servings. Enjoy!