This post may contain affiliate links (meaning I earn a small comission if you purchase an item through a link I provide) I only provide shoppable links to items I love and are helpful. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tater Tot Topped Chicken Pot Pie is a fun and delicious twist on classic Chicken Pot Pie. From scratch gravy mixed with shredded chicken breast, mixed vegetables, and finished off with cheese and crispy tater tots. Bonus points for being very family friendly!
Let me just put in on record here that I love tater tots. A whole heck of’a lot! I believe they’re God’s gift to the frozen food aisle. I choose to make’m work with my healthier lifestyle because life without tater tots isn’t something that I wanna be a part of.
Over the past couple weeks Fall went ahead and hit us hard here in the Midwest. Fall weather means that I’m back in the kitchen constantly cooking up old favorites and creating new favorites too! I was thinking of my fav foods from my childhood. I immediately thought about my mom’s tater tot hot dishes. My mama happens to be a born n’ bred Minnesotan so the term hot dish was always used in my house. It wasn’t until I started this here blog that I realized that the term “hot dish” was actually Minnesota thing. Anyway, I’m babbling about nothing of too much importance I just love tater tot hot dish. Tastes like my childhood and I thought I’d create something that reminds me of this with a skinnyish twist!
Tater Tot Topped Chicken Pot Pie is officially our favorite “hot dish” right now and I’m preeeeeetty positive y’all are going to love it too! I actually have to fight off Eric for leftovers of this one!
Tater Tot Topped Chicken Pot Pie (try saying that one three times super fast.. ha!) is made with an easy peasy homemade gravy and filled with vegetables and shredded chicken.
Let’s get into the kitchen!
First, In a large pot or dutch oven melt 2 tbsp light butter over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook until soft and stir from time to time.
When the celery and onions are softened add in garlic and cook until fragrant (aaaabout 30 seconds).
Sprinkle 1/4 cup of flour over the vegetables and stir well until combined. Cook for about a minute.
Pour in one and a half cups of chicken broth and whisk consantly until a gravy starts to form.
Now, add in two cups of unsweetened plain almond milk and continue to whisk until bubbly. At this point, it should be a thick gravy.
Pssst.. you can totally use regular milk with no problem, but just remember that’ll change up the points/calories if you care about that kind’a thing.
Reduce your heat to low and add everything into this chicken pot pie party. Two cups cooked chicken, two cups of frozen mixed vegetables, and 1 tsp thyme and 1-1/2 tsp of your favorite all purpose seasoned salt (my favorite is Lawry’s. Forever and ever, amen).
Now, stir together and let it cook for a minute or two. Be sure to Salt & Pepper to your own taste! I definitely add a bit.
Spray a 9×13 casserole dish with some cooking spray and pile the chicken pot pie filling in!
Finally! It’s time for my favorite part. TATER TOTS! Line up 60 tots and throw a little reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar under there for good measure. Remember.. skinny-ish. Ha!
Pop in a preheated 400 degree oven for about 35 minutes until the tater tots are crispy on top and then chicken pot pie part is bubbling.
Drool some more. Just grab a spoon and dig in!
With love from my kitchen to yours,
Tater Tot Topped Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 cup diced celery (about 4 ribs of celery)
- 1 large yellow or white onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp light butter i use land o' lakes brand
- 1/4 cup white all purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium if available
- 2 cups unsweetened & plain almond milk
- 2 cups shredded/diced cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups frozen mixed veggies lightly thawed
- 1 tsp thyme, dried
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1-1/2 tsp all purpose seasoned salt i prefer lawry's, but use your favorite!
- 2/3 cup reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar
- 60 frozen tater tots
- salt and pepper to taste
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large pot or dutch oven. Add onions and celery and cook over medium-high heat until tender. When they are cooked stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour over onions, celery, and garlic. Stir very well and cook for one minute.
- Add chicken broth while whisking constantly until the broth thickens like gravy. Then pour in almond milk and continue to whisk until combined and the gravy starts to bubble. It should be thick and remind you of gravy.
- Reduced heat to low and add cooked chicken, mixed vegetables, thyme, seasoned salt, and pepper. Simmer for just a few minutes all together.
- Pour Chicken Pot Pie mixture into a 9×13 casserole dish that's been sprayed wth cooking spray. Top with shredded cheese and tater tots and bake for about 35 minutes or until tater tots are golden cripy perfection.