This post may contain affiliate links (meaning I earn a small comission if you purchase an item through a link I provide) I only provide shoppable links to items I love and are helpful. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
About every two weeks on Sunday, I make a big batch of slow-cooked shredded chicken. Honestly there’s not too much to say about shredded chicken, except it’s tender, moist, and flavorful, just like chicken should be!
I can’t tell you how much I love having a fresh bag in the fridge and few bags in the freezer, especially on nights when I have no plans for dinner. I can easily make a number of meals just starting with a couple cups of shredded chicken.
A lot of people had been asking exactly how I make my shredded chicken, so by popular request, here it is!
Here’s what you do:
Put a desired amount of raw chicken breasts in a crock pot. I usually do about 2-3 lbs. Remember you can always freeze some! Pour some low sodium chicken broth over the chicken. Then I add dried minced onion, celery salt, garlic powder, and pepper. Stir it up.
Cook on low for about 6 hours or high for about 4 hours.
When it has finished cooking, transfer to a bowl and add about 1/2 cup of the broth that it cooked in. Let it cool off for a few minutes or else you’ll burn your fingers, it may still be hot inside!
Take a couple forks and get shreddin’. You can also use a hand mixer if you like it super shredded, but I tend to like more of natural pulled/chopped pieces.
Tender, Juicy, Flavorful Shredded chicken to do with whatever your heart desires.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken
- 2 lbs raw boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1½ cups low sodium chicken broth *see notes
- 2 tbsp dried minced onion *can also use a 2-3 tsp on onion powder or one fresh onion diced
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1/2 tsp oregano (option)
- In a slow cooker, add chicken breasts, broth, and seasonings.
- Cook on low for about 6 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Remove chicken and 1/2 cup of the broth nd place into a bowl. Shred with two forks or a mixer (for finely shredded chicken). Enjoy! To freeze let the chicken cool completely and then place it into a freezer friendly container or bag.