This post may contain affiliate links (meaning I earn a small comission if you purchase an item through a link I provide) I only provide shoppable links to items I love and are helpful. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Roasted Cabbage and Carrots recipe is an amazing, all-in-one sheet pan side dish that goes perfectly with so many meals. The tender cabbage and the sweet and savory carrots are perfectly seasoned, and roasted just enough to provide that crispy texture and roast-y taste.
I’m always a little reluctant to share vegetable-only recipes, even the ones that are really delicious. I can’t say exactly why. These days, I absolutely LOVE taking a pile of raw vegetables, and turning it into an amazing taste and texture experience! But I’ve gotta confess – I’m a girl who barely ate vegetables before age 20. So since having a family and starting this lil’ blog, I’ve become somewhat of an expert on cooking them… because I am picky as can be when it comes to’m.
I’ve probably talked about this before, but I used to hate vegetables SO MUCH. I love my mom, more than I can say. But when I was a kid at the dinner table, our vegetable sides… well, they left something to be desired. Most of the veggies we ate were boiled. Not just that, but boiled faaar beyond tenderness, to the point that much of the taste, and most of the texture, was long gone. In short, what was left was mushy-smooshy, and not enjoyable to eat. And there I was… that sneaky lil’ kid, tossing little handfuls of boiled veggies to my dogs under the table… when the dogs would eat them, that is! Totally off topic here, but…
I LOVE YOU MOM! I couldn’t have done any of it without you.
When i was around 20 years old, I discovered the magic of roasting vegetables… and it was like an entire new world opened up for me! I actually ENJOYED vegetables… dare I say it? I even started to CRAVE them. These days, you’ll almost always find 2 or 3 servings of vegetables piled on my plate. I just love them so much, and I know how good they are for me, too! When I figured out the right way to treat vegetables, they became almost magical. I’ve been trying to cook, photograph & share more of my personal favorite foods and recipes But for now, I’ll share this insanely good sheet pan side dish of cabbage and carrots, packed full of nutrition and taste.
Cabbage and carrots are both great vegetables to have around, for multiple reasons: they last longer than most veggies in the fridge before starting to go bad, so it’s easy to keep them on hand for when you need them; and they’re both amazingly useful and versatile! Carrots can be cut into sticks for a kids’ lunch or for dipping, they can be chopped or julienned for salads, or do a bit of seasoning and roasting, and they’re perfect alongside any meal.
Now on to cabbage! When cooked in a liquid-based recipe like a Crock Pot meal or a good warm soup, it takes on the taste of the other meats and ingredients. You can chop it up and add it in with ground beef or turkey, and it adds volume and nutrition. And if you’re into stir-frying, you probably already know its value in those kinds of recipes.
This can be a great side dish for just about anything, but it’s especially festive around St. Patrick’s day, next to a few slices of juicy, slow-cooked corned beef… or with my other new recipe, Open Faced Reuben Sandwiches! Eric has always preferred corned beef and cabbage the way he grew up – you know, with sliced potatoes, all in a big slow-cooker pot. So when St. Patty’s Day comes around, I make it that way. While I do enjoy that version, there’s just something about roasting up these veggies to serve alongside all of that. To put it simply, Roasting = MAGIC. I said what I said.
Ingredients for Roasted Cabbage and Carrots
- Olive Oil
- Olive Oil or Avocado Oil Cooking Spray
- Kosher Salt and fresh Cracked Pepper
- Smoked Parika
- Red Pepper Flakes
- Garlic Powder
- Dried Oregano
How to make Roasted Cabbage and Carrots
- Preheat oven to 425. Grab an extra large sheet pan and line it with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spray well with cooking spray.. If you don’t have an extra large sheet pan, you will need to use two medium sheet pans.
- Prep carrots. For best results, always cut the carrots on the bias (diagonally) and as evenly as you can. Place your cut carrots on the sheet pan. Toss carrots with oil, paprika, kosher salt, garlic powder, and freshly cracked pepper. I love to mix them with my hands really well, so I know it’s distributed well.
- Prep cabbage. Slice into about 6 to 7 and a half inch thick rounds (leave the core, so they don’t fall apart), and place on sheet pan with carrots. Spray liberally with olive oil (or avocado cooking spray). Season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
- Cook roasted cabbage and carrots. Place the loaded sheet pan into the oven, and roast them all together, for about 35- 40 minutes. About halfway through cooking, remove the sheet pan and stir just the carrots around really well.
There is another big reason to love this recipe – it’s soo budget friendly. We all know that sometimes, sticking to healthy eating can get expensive. but a big ol’ bag of carrots and a head of cabbage is gonna cost only around 5 dollars, and they’re LOADED with so many good vitamins and minerals! And let’s face it – these days, budgeting should be a concern, just like meal prepping or keeping track of points. That makes this recipe a win-win-win!!
Storage and reheating
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container for up 4-5 days.
- Reheating: Reheat in the microwave, or in a skillet on the stove top until warm.
More Delicious Vegetable Side Dishes
- Roasted Greek Vegetables
- Air Fryer Ranch Carrots
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Roasted Vegetable Primavera Pasta
Roasted Cabbage and Carrots
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- olive or avocado oil cooking spray
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (optional if you don't want spice or maybe a bit more if you want more spice)
- 3 cups carrots that have been sliced on the bias (diagonally) see notes
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- fresh cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 425. Grab an extra large sheet pan and line with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Spray well with cooking spray.. If you don't have an extra large sheet pan you will need to use two medium sheet pans.
- Prep carrots. Always cut carrots on the bias (diagonally) and as evenly as possible for best results. Place cut carrots on the sheet pan. Toss carrots with oil, paprika, kosher salt, garlic powder, and freshly cracked pepper. I love to mix the my hands so it's distributed super well.
- Prep cabbage. Slice into about 6- 1/4 inch thick rounds (leave the core so they don't fall part) and place on sheet pan with carrots. Spray liberally with olive oil (or avocado cooking spray) Cooking spray works best cause it can get into the nooks and crannies of the cabbage layers. Season with salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder, red pepper flakes, and oregano.
- Cook roasted cabbage and carrots. Place sheet pan in oven and roast all together for about 35- 40 minutes. Remove sheet pan about half way through and stir just the carrot around really well.
- Serve hot!
Calories: 80 2g fat, 0g saturated fat, 103g sodium, 14g carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 7g sugar (0g added sugar, 0g sugar alcohols), 8g net carbs, 2g protein note: if you have a super large head of cabbage you may want to add additional seasoning