Instant Pot White Chicken Chili is a quick-and-easy weeknight meal that’s got that “cooked all day” kinda feel. It’s packed full of chicken, corn, beans, green chilies, and a warm, perfectly balanced blend of spices. It’s great on its own, or loaded up with tortilla chips, cilantro, cheese, and a squeeze of lime!
If you’ve enjoyed my Crock Pot Creamy White Chicken Chili but you’ve been wishing for an Instant Pot version, wish no more! It’s here, and it’s totally yummy and so much quicker! Can you believe it only takes 18 minutes in the Instant Pot? Well okay, it does take a little time for the Instant Pot to get up to pressure… so maybe 30ish minutes total. But seriously, Creamy White Chicken Chili cooked to perfection so quickly? Hellooo, sign me up! I still can’t believe how great it came out. I truly didn’t change a thing when it comes to portions or flavor. I just put it all together in the pot, set it to 18 minutes, crossed my fingers, grated some cheese and did some dishes and it was done before I could even finish cleaning the kitchen up! Say what? Yep, not even kidding. Seriously, go make this… tonight. I betcha have all the ingredients on hand!
Ohhhh yeah. Here’s the Instant Pot I use!
Here we go… Let’s get into the kitchen, folks!
Step one: Gather the goods!
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans.
- 2 small cans o’ Green Chiles. Unless you Love spice, make sure they’re mild. Because if you get the hot kind… it’s gonna get all kinds of spicy!
- Chicken Broth
- A variety of perfectly balanced spices: cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, kosher salt, pepper, and Lawry’s Seasoned salt.
Not pictured, but very necessary: chicken breast, corn (frozen or fresh’ll do), half and half, and light cream cheese.
Add everything into the Instant Pot EXCEPT FOR THE CREAM CHEESE & HALF & HALF!
I mean it, y’all. Everything!
Wait wait… Don’t add the Cream Cheese or Half & Half, okay? We’ll add those later.
Give it a good ol’ stir.
Cover and seal the lid. Switch the valve to the “sealing” position, and cook on Manual High Pressure for 18 minutes. When it’s done cooking and the timer beeps, let it naturally depressurize for 10 minutes, then switch the valve to the “venting” position to completely release the steam before opening. I like to throw a towel over the valve and use a wooden spoon to release the steam, but it’s not absolutely necessary. However you release the pressure on your Instant Pot, BE SAFE!
Remove the chicken. Place it in a bowl or on a cutting board, and shred it up with two forks. A mixer also works amazingly well for shredding up that freshly-cooked chicken breast, and it’s really fast! Just remember to keep your fingers away, or else you’re probably gonna have a really bad time. And don’t rev up your mixer too fast, or you’ll find that chicken in the dogs fur 5 days from now.
Add the shredded chicken back into the pot, along with the Half & Half and the chunks of cream cheese. Stir everything well, then put the cover back on, and let it simmer for about 10 minutes to let the cheese melt.
As soon as that cream cheese is nicely melted throughout the soup, grab a bowl and some toppings, and make your bowl of White Chicken Chili. Now strictly speaking, it doesn’t need it… but I just love me some good ol’ fashioned toppings! Things like tortilla strips (you can find these with the salad toppings like croutons), freshly chopped tomatoes and cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. And oh yeah, I almost forgot… cheese!!!
If you’re not feelin’ like a fancy bowl of White Chicken Chili loaded with a bazillion toppings, don’t freak out! It’s all gravy, because they aren’t needed. This chili all by itself tastes like angels made it. I usually chop up just a bit of cilantro (if I have it), and do a squeeze of fresh lime. Because delicious Mexican cuisine and fresh lime go together like tacos and Tuesday!
I hope y’all enjoy! Leave a comment, and let me know how it goes. Or just tag me on Instagram or Facebook. I love to see y’all makin’ up my recipes!
With love from my kitchen to yours,
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1-½ lbs chicken breast, trimmed, raw
- 2- 15.5 oz cans Great Northern Beans (3 cups) drained, but not rinsed
- 2- 4 oz cans mild green chiles
- 1-½ cups corn frozen, canned (drained), or fresh
- 1-3/4 cup chicken broth low sodium if available
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt reduce by half if using regular table salt or sea salt
- 1 tsp Lawry’s Seasoned Salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper more or less depending on spice preference, remember you can add spice.. but you can’t really take it out
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- In the Instant Pot, add all of the ingredients above EXCEPT for the cream cheese and half and half.
- Cover the Instant Pot and securely lock the lid in place. Set to Manual High Pressure for 18 minutes. When 18 minutes is up and the timer beeps, let the pressure naturally release for about 10 minutes. Then press the valve down with a wooden spoon to do a quick release.
- Remove chicken from pot, and shred with two forks. (A mixer also works well for shredding – watch your fingers!) Stir shredded chicken back into the pot, along with the cream cheese and Half & Half. Put the Instant Pot lid back on, and simmer for about 5 minutes to let the cream cheese melt into your chili.